You guys, a trip to the splash pad feels like a major outing!
We explored several splash pads last summer and have begun the tour this summer as well. This is the first summer my boys have actually enjoyed getting wet! I shared in my post about the awesome splash pad/park combo in Delaware that I didn’t even pack any extra clothes or swim suits for the trip because they normally hate to be splashed in the face! They actually ventured closer to the fountains than I expected that day!
We had an outing planned with some fellow mom-bloggers to the Powell splash pad last week and based on my Delaware experience and the fact that my kids have also recently begun to enjoy running through the sprinkler at home, I decided I better be prepared on this trip!
Even though I felt like my 4 bags were packed with everything I could think of and I was even able to produce a band-aid on demand for a friend, I still felt like I had missed a few things. My kids’ sandals were drenched and they had to wear them to our next destination. As a result, the dry socks I was so proud of myself for bringing were quickly just as soaked as the ones they took off. (Ok, side note. My kids insist on wearing socks and sandals through the water . . . most of you probably don’t have this problem! LOL!) Their towels for drying off were drenched too.
I thought I would use the “wisdom of crowds” to come up with the most complete “What to Pack for the Splash Pad” list as possible! I asked my fellow blogger friends and followers on social media to weigh in on what makes for a successful trip to the splash pad.
Here you go! It turns out you *only* need these 25 things for a successful trip to the splash pad:
- Local Tip: A lot of splash pads are within walking distance to restaurants and snack options, but the splash pad at Veterans Park has a snack shack on site!
3. extra set of clothes for each child
4. swim diaper
5. extra swim diapers
6. a towel for each child
- Local Tip: You can borrow a towel at the fountains at Easton Town Center on the weekends in case your shopping trip turns into an unexpected run through the fountains!
7. an extra towel, just in case
9. water shoes
11. water bottles for each person
12. sun hats
- Local Tip: a tent was specifically recommended for the Bunny Fountains in Dublin because of the large green space and lack of shade.
14. water buckets
15. water toys
16. picnic blanket
17. high water fruit for kids who don’t drink enough water
18. packed lunch
19. money for a food truck or lunch
- Local Tip: combining Food Truck Food Court at Columbus Commons with a trip to Bicentennial Fountain was recommended for a good outing that includes exercise, lunch and time for drying off!
20. cups for playing in the water
21. lawn chair
22. band aids
23. extra pair of shoes
24. plastic/grocery bags for carrying home wet clothes
- Local Tip: Coffee Connections of Hilliard will deliver coffee to Hilliard’s Station Park Fountains! You can call or text your order when the sign is out!
This list was compiled with help from Kimmi of Crazy Richards Peanut Butter, Kimberly of Little Fire Brigade, Julie of Borm & Co, Lindsay of Find Where You Fit, Eryn of 614 Mom, Helen of Diaperbag Diaries, Nina of Chaos in Mommyhood, Chelsea of Greatest Little Blessings, @emilyp103, Stacie from Little Adventures Await and Leslie of The Penmanship Lab!
What did we miss? Add your ideas in the comments!
Click on the images below for more local splash pad info!
Make sure to follow What Should We Do Today? on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram and never miss a post!
ICYMI: A Boy Mom Does American Girl
Thursday 26th of April 2018
Thanks for pointing out that you should bring money for a food truck when you go to a splash pad. It seems like this could be really profitable for a city to have because it would encourage people to be out and about. They'd just need to find someone who could make a splash pad for them.
Tuesday 4th of July 2017
Microfibre towels are great and pack small, this summer I am keeping one in the car at all times and it's already come in handy when we found a good wading stream.
Tuesday 4th of July 2017
That is a GREAT idea! Thanks! :)